Travel Wishlist Part One. Not a Bucket List

Travel Wishlist Part1
I hate the phrase “Bucket List”.  I’m assuming it became a shortened way of saying “these are all the things I want to do before I kick the bucket / shrug off my mortal coil / die”.  Which sounds like a lot of pressure.  And what do you do when you have ticked off everything on your list?  “Right Mr Grim Reaper, you can come and take me now.”  Or do you just keep adding things on in the hope of staving off the inevitable “I can’t go yet, Mr Grim Reaper, I haven’t swam in a waterfall in Jamaica, ate frogs legs in Paris or hiked the Grand Canyon…”
So I have a travel wish list.  Maybe I’ll visit them all in my lifetime, maybe I won’t.  In fact, at the rate I keep adding things on, I’m unlikely to run out of places to go unless I live til I’m 380. So here, in no particular order, are 5 of the places that have made it on to my travel wish list.
Madrid
The Spanish capital has been on my wish list for a while.  It’s full of culture, great food and a vibrant nightlife.  It has stunning architecture, delicious tapas, churros and abundant wine.  It even has a fountain that honours the devil, in a park loosely translated as “The Park of Pleasant Retreat”  It also got ancient Egyptian temples and a bullring, although I’m sure it’s not as spectacular as ours here in Birmingham.

Costa Rica
Costa Rica is one of the happiest places to live in the world.  And I know why.  It’s not the higher than average life expectancy.  It’s not the great coffee.  It’s not even the fact you can sleep in a converted aeroplane.  It’s because of the sloths.  Sloths are smiley animals.  Just to look at a sloth makes me happy.  So yes, I want to see emerald-green rainforests, beautiful beaches, volcanoes and gorges.  But most of all I want to see sloths.

Machu Picchu
This is high on Mr Fletche’s wishlist.  And when I found out that you don’t have to hike to get there, it made its way onto my list too.  In fact you can just pop on a train or a bus and bob’s your uncle.  The ruins clinging to the hillside, the towering emerald green mountains, the woolly llamas…it’s one of those places which seems to be something of a faff to get to, but the pay-off is immense.  And you can pick yourself up a poncho as a souvenir.

The Romantic Road
Great Britain is good at castles.  They’re ten a penny, and you can’t swing a cat in Wales without falling over another castle.  But do you know who else is good at castles?  The Germans.  And they’re also good at gorgeous little villages with timber-framed houses.  And beer.  They’re good at beer too.  The “Romantic Road” connects Würzburg and Füssen in Southern Germany, with a whole bunch of medieval fairy-tale towns on the way.  And there’s rolling hills and lush forests too.  Looks amazing in the summer, but can you imagine this at Christmastime?  Book me a flight to Munich now!

Dublin
No, I don’t know why I haven’t been to Dublin yet either.  It’s about five minutes and a 10p Ryanair flight away.  I hear Temple Bar is good for a nice quiet drink?  But aside from the Guinness and the whiskey and the stew, there’s a tempestuous history, literary legends and live music.  And it’s also by the seaside.  I hear it’s nice and quiet some time in the middle of March?  Say around the 17th?

So that’s Part One of my Travel Wishlist.  Have you been to any of these places?  Where else should I add to Part Two?

Thanks for reading!!

23 Comments

1. August 19, 2016 / 10:52 pm

I was shocked to see Dublin on your list!! It’s a must! And yes, I recommend Temple bar for an overpriced drink! We went around 11:30 in the morning (?) during the week and it was super quiet! 🙂

• August 20, 2016 / 8:45 am

I know, can you believe I’ve never been? Definitely pushing up for the 2017 list 😀

2. August 25, 2016 / 6:56 am

I’ve been on the romantic road in Germany and oh my gosh it’s absolutely beautiful. Me and my love went in the summer and it was simply breathtaking – just filled with mountains and countrysides!
    I’d love to go to Machu Picchu one day too!

3. August 25, 2016 / 7:07 am

I’ve been on the romantic road and it’s so worth it! Their castles are absolutely beautiful, and the villages dotted along the road are equally so.
    (Please excuse if I have double posted… Not too sure if my comment went through before!)

• August 25, 2016 / 7:10 am

Thank you (for both comments 😀). It’s definitely being pushed up the list!

4. November 25, 2017 / 7:29 pm

I would love to go to Australia! And I’d love to go to Dublin too!

• November 25, 2017 / 7:43 pm

Oooh Australia is definitely on part 2 of my wishlist 🙂

• November 25, 2017 / 7:45 pm

I have family there too but I’d love to explore!!!

5. November 25, 2017 / 7:41 pm

Ok, all of these sound really good except Machu Picchu. I don ‘t know about that. I picture accomodations consisting of a hut and a bucket as my bathroom. My travel bucket list includes Italy, England, Australia and maybe somewhere in Asia if I can be guaranteed to not be arrested and thrown in a labor camp like Claire Daines in Broken Down Palace.

• November 25, 2017 / 7:46 pm

I have been reassured that no peeing in a bucket for Machu Picchu is required…believe me, I’m roughing it for no-one! Italy is amazing, and yes, come to England – we’re great!!

• November 25, 2017 / 8:48 pm

You guys are great! I didn’t have much of a desire until I’ve met all of you, I want to come visit!!

6. November 25, 2017 / 7:59 pm

Have to agree with you on the term of ‘bucket list’, or even worse posts telling what I should see instead of making it a suggestion! Off my high horse to say you have grabbed my interest in the Southern Germany destination. If you happen to visit Australia, pop over the ditch to NZ 🙂 Our wish list is dependent on where our next housesit is located, then we make the most of where we are situated! Have fun exploring next year and your upcoming trip to the Opera.

• November 25, 2017 / 8:13 pm

Thanks Suzanne, a house move is on the cards so may not get to travel so much in 2018! New Zealand is definitely on the ever growing list 😁

7. November 25, 2017 / 10:42 pm

My husband is English and I’m Australian – so a Europe trip is compulsory. One day I’d love to go to Moscow. And I’d love to do a Rick Stein food tour of India (if he ever did one). Living in Australia often makes international travel hard – bloody expensive to fly just about anywhere from here.

8. November 25, 2017 / 10:45 pm

Pompeii is on my Travel wish list. I want to sneak my archeology trowel in there and have a scrape of the dust in the blazing heat. Love your blog.

• November 25, 2017 / 10:52 pm

Thanks for stopping by! I’ve been to Herculanuem but not Pompeii…amazing place 😁

9. November 25, 2017 / 11:34 pm

Ohhh Costa Rica what an awesome idea for your travel list!! Might have to steal that one for mine x

• November 26, 2017 / 6:19 am

It’s in 2018’s travel plans Mel 😉

10. josypheen
    November 26, 2017 / 6:12 am

This is such a nice wish list. <3
    I have so many places that I'd love to visit, but I have never really thought about them as a bucket list. I guess it doesn't matter what you call the list if you occasionally make these dreams into reality. I've never been a fan of visiting a place just because it is famous. Mostly I just like to wander around and explore…

• November 26, 2017 / 6:21 am

I’d need a really big bucket! I like visiting new countries and seeing the iconic sights but I’m not averse to getting to know a place a bit better too. When you’re trying to cram everything into a couple of days annual leave it can be tough!

• josypheen
        November 26, 2017 / 6:23 am

I guess I assume I can always go back if I really love somewhere!
        I’d need a massive bucket too! I keep finding good travel blogs and adding to the places I’d love to visit! Oops.