Forty is the new Thirty…

“There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of the people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age” – Sophia Loren
I stand on the brink of a precipice. Behind me are my 30s. A decade in which I got married, discovered that travel was my biggest passion, achieved a degree, said a tearful goodbye to two cats, gave up smoking, lost a job, found another job, gained a career counselling certificate, climbed a mountain, ziplined for the first time, wallpapered for the first time (thanks for the lesson Pa Lee!), took up running, gave up running, took up hula-hooping and created the alter ego that is A Brummie Home and Abroad.
And now I enter my 40s. I don’t know what the future holds for me – probably more of the same (except the wallpapering, and the getting married bit). I learned way back in my 20s that life doesn’t always turn out the way you plan it. Should I be scared? After all, my knees creak when I stand. I remember bands and tv programmes that were around way before some of my work colleagues were even born, yet sometimes can’t remember what I’ve gone into another room for. I have a 25-year old denim jacket – vintage stalls have younger models. My hands look like they’ve been submerged in water for hours, even when they haven’t.
Yet I don’t feel 40. I don’t even feel like an adult. Sometimes I think I’ve eternally remained a teenager mentally, with absolutely no idea what to do in this grown-up world I inhabit. I just make it up as I go along. Some of my friends, also around the 40 mark, seem to have this adulting lark down pat. Their Facebook feeds are full of domestic trials and tribulations, what their little angels/little devils are doing, what successful business transactions they’ve concluded today. Mine is mainly checking in at pubs, and memes and GIFS I find hilarious.
So I’m embracing 40. 40 is going to be awesome. At 40, you’re old enough to do what you want, and still have enough time to do it. At 40, you don’t have to listen to people telling you how you should live your life, and just go ahead and live it. At 40, you can use both the excuse “no, I’m too old” or “no, I’m too young” to get out of doing anything you don’t want to do.  At 40, you can still pretend that you have a life-plan, or you can wing it. 40 is the new 30, and 30 was pretty good. Now, 41 – that’s a whole different kettle of fish…

Emmalene x

A Brummie Home and Abroad x

An (eek) 40 plus blogger x

Why 40 is the new 30...

Share:

17 Comments

1. September 19, 2017 / 6:01 am

40 is definitely the new 30 Em. Forgetting my age has become a regular thing now. Mid 40’s and I seem to be forgetting quite a few things hence writing notes is a usual routine. Embrace this new decade for you never know what it will bring, hopefully much love and happiness. X

• September 21, 2017 / 4:49 pm

Thanks Lorelle, I’m scatterbrained as it is!

2. September 19, 2017 / 6:27 am

Love it! Welcome to the 40 club, Em. I’ve just hurtled beyond the 45 marker so I’m starting to feel twitchy about the next looming 0. Having said that, I most definitely pull the ‘no, too old’ and ‘no, too young’ card on a regular basis 😉

• September 21, 2017 / 4:50 pm

Thanks Shelly! I’m a full advocate of “Age is just a number” 🙂

3. September 20, 2017 / 8:14 pm

I loved this and completely agree. I’m rolling into my mid 30s but definitely still feel about 18 in my head. I agree with Sophia that’s it all about how you live your life and not the numbers on the page! Happy birthday to you 🙂

• September 21, 2017 / 4:50 pm

Thanks Rachel, 40’s not so bad 🙂

4. September 24, 2017 / 1:19 pm

Haha love the “took up running, gave up running” in your list of achievements. Yeah I reckon 40 is a pretty good age to be (though I’m 41, but that’s practically the same age). Am so glad you’re embracing it & enjoying it. Oh and I’m also an adult making it up as I go along and look at everyone else my age I see them as “proper adults”. I’m definitely not one (and rather proud of this fact ha).

• September 24, 2017 / 3:43 pm

I’m 5 days in and it’s not so bad! Although to be honest I’ve spent most of it drinking prosecco and eating birthday cake… I’m guessing this decadence can’t continue!

• September 24, 2017 / 3:46 pm

Sounds like perfectly reasonable 40s behaviour to me 👍🏻

5. September 24, 2017 / 2:10 pm

I’m a firm believer in the concept that you’re only as old as you feel. 🙂 Some days I feel like I’m twenty again….however my body can’t always keep up with me. 😉

6. josypheen
    September 24, 2017 / 4:22 pm

Happy Birthday! It sounds like life is getting more and more fun for you, so your 40s will be epic!!
    p.s. Yay for climbing that mountain!

7. October 7, 2017 / 7:22 pm

Love this. I’m 32 yet so much of it is relatable. I met an heard an adult the othe day that wasn’t born when the Spice Girls were at a prime. An adult! That makes me feel old.
    I agree, I feel as though my body has aged way more than my head. I Feel mentally early 20’s and think I forever will. I don’t quite feel a teenager, thankfully!

8. October 15, 2017 / 4:00 pm

Lovef this! Age is truly dependent on how you feel 💕

9. November 24, 2017 / 10:35 am

This says it all. I love it. I am now looking at 50, it’s still a bit away. Thankfully my vision is stating to fade so I can’t see it creep up on me.

• November 24, 2017 / 10:38 am